Thursday, December 30, 2010

Three Gifts I Cherish from 2010...

1) A SENSE OF PLACE
For those that know me, they understand how hard it has been for me to move every 2-5 years over the last 25 years whenever my husband received a job transfer. While it has been nice to experience new places and meet new friends over the years, in my heart I have always wanted a place to call home. A place that reminds my husband of his boyhood home of New Hampshire and me of my native Michigan. Surprisingly, Pennsylvania accomplishes that. It has the progressive attitude of the Northeast, the laid back friendly vibe of the Midwest, and the beautiful hardwood forests of both. Unlike anywhere else I have lived since meeting my husband, this place fits me and everything has clicked here for us. Finally...home...
2) AN EDUCATIONAL MODEL THAT WORKS FOR MY SON
After struggling with public schools and all that is broken with that system for 4 years, and then dealing with a radical unschooling group whose members had different personal and educational values than myself, I have finally found the perfect educational fit for my son. Located on 30 acres, my son's "school" offers up experiential natural learning with the freedom he needs, in a group setting with 20 of his peers. My son attends three full days a week which allows ample time outside of school to explore his other interests.
3) STRONGER RELATIONSHIPS WITH MY SIBLINGS
Like many families today I am sure, my siblings and I went our separate ways when we left home. One of my brothers stayed in Michigan while my other brother and sister left for points west, making it tough to spend much time together. This year, my son Ryan and I were able to visit my brother Kirk and that time together went a long way toward renewing our relationship for me. Since that time, we have had the opportunity to talk via phone on a regular basis which I love! My sister and I are also starting to take the time needed to become closer as well and I hope we can get together sometime in the next year.

I have a huge sense of gratitude for everything that has come my way this year and I hope 2010 has brought you some special gifts as well...

1 comment:

Folkways Note Book said...

Your top photo is lovely -- so serene. Giving non-material thanks for 2010 was terrific -- barbara.