Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Fullersburg Woods Nature Preserve

These icicles did little to obscure my view of Salt Creek as I looked out the window of the nature center at Fullerburg Woods this afternoon. While my son was participating in a nature program called Mighty Acorns, I was passing the time enjoying the beauty of this wonderful site.
Fullersburg Woods was purchased by the Forest Preserve District of DuPage County in 1920 and as part of the Roosevelt administration's New Deal Program, a Civilian Conservation Corps' camp was established here in 1934. The CCC built the nature center shown in the picture above along with many trailside shelters that remain from this Depression-era program.

Inside the nature center, there are comfortable chairs in which one can enjoy a cup of tea and a good book. Telescopes are available for bird watching along with many other hands-on activities geared toward teaching children about the natural world.

Despite the temperatures hovering around 10 degrees, I decided to venture out onto the trails and came upon a picnic shelter situated along the creek. A beautiful spot to linger in warmer weather.

I hated to leave this peaceful respite in the woods. Luckily, I will be back many more times between now and May so that my son can attend his nature class here. That is the beauty of homeschooling...being able to learn about your subject in a more hands-on way. To actually learn about nature in nature.

No comments: