Wednesday, January 13, 2010

On Frozen Pond

It has been many, many years since I have skated on a frozen pond, hand cleared of snow. While we have had several days of very cold temperatures here, making the ice safe, it still felt a bit unnerving yesterday to travel out onto a surface typically reserved for geese and boats.

Skating against the wind was exhilarating, fresh cold air in our faces. Traveling with the wind, we were like sailboats- gliding along effortlessly.

I spent many winter days of my childhood skating the frozen lakes of Michigan and being out on a pond once again took me back to those days. Simpler times where I only had to worry about keeping my feet warm -and my present day worries of keeping the bills paid wasn't even on the horizon. It felt great to feel young again as I sailed across the ice, and to know my son was forming his own memories of this day.


Just before we left the pond, the ice called out to us with a great cracking sound reverberating underfoot as the ice expanded. Nature's voice calling to us, rooting us in the body of her soul...


No comments: