Thursday, August 20, 2009

Walking Everywhere

One of the biggest considerations I made when trying to figure out where to live when we first moved to the NYC area was walkability. I wanted every place I visited within a given week to be within walking distance- coffeeshops, restaurants, grocery stores, library, bookstores, hardware stores, drug stores, post office, public transportation, etc. I didn't want to have to get into the car for anything. Now that I am here, I find that I don't have to walk any more than ten minutes to get to any of the places on my list. It is amazing! I wonder about my car though- how long can it sit without being run before the battery dies? I found a great site for determining the walkability of your town or determining the walkability of a future place you may consider a move to-check out Walk Score.

No comments: