Friday, April 3, 2009

A tourist in my own city of Chicago

Yesterday my friend Jamie and I took our kids downtown to Chicago to check out some museums and exhibits we had not visited before. I am finding that before I leave Chicago, I want to experience as much of the city as possible, to essentially become a tourist in my own city. What we discovered, by just ambling along, stopping here and there was amazing. In the most unexpected place, we found the most beautiful building I had ever been in- the Chicago Cultural Center. Built originally to house the Chicago Public Library, this building contains the world's largest Tiffany dome along with other glass domes and many beautiful tile mosaics on the walls and floors. I borrowed the picture above from an article in Traditional Building Magazine which shows additional pictures and gives descriptions of many of the building's other features.

My homeschooling friends and I have several unique places we would like to visit over the next several months before I leave Chicago and I will be posting about them as we visit them. Being able to spend time with my friends while discovering Chicago makes it all especially nice.

No comments: